The Privacy/Untraceability Sweet Spot

Aimee Farr aimee.farr at pobox.com
Tue Aug 28 08:42:18 PDT 2001

GH wrote:

> Nomen Nescio wrote:
> [snip]
> >The answers it gives depends on the questions you ask.  If your questions
> >are simple enough (untraceability good?) then your chart will answer
> >them.  If your questions are more interesting (what technologies can
> >be practically implemented and make a positive difference in the world)
> >then you need a better chart.
>
> You (and Aimee) make the mistake of assuming that all of us believe that
> we are living in the best of all possible worlds.

*sigh*

> Many people however
> believe that we [read: our government(s)] are in a downward spiral that
> is converging on police-and-welfare-state.  In the US for example, we
> long ago abandoned our constitution.  We still give it much lip service
> and we still have one of the "more free" societies but things are
> trending in the wrong direction.
>
> Each year more oppressive laws are passed, more things are made illegal
> to say or write or - if some have their way - think.  (And of course it
> goes without saying that these things that are prohibited to us are
> available to "authorized users": those in intelligence, law enforcement,
> etc. - the usual "more equal" individuals.)

I might understand this better than you think.

> At the same time, more twits like you and Aimee spring up, always ready
> to say "no, you mustn't say such things - you don't really mean that, do
> you?  How could anyone even think such things?"

Twit: my pet name in here.

> As Tim has pointed out over and over, you need to read up on cypherpunks
> themes, goals and history.  His signature has included this inscription
> for years (though he seems not to be using it lately):
>
> 	Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
> 	anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
> 	knowledge, reputations, information markets,
> 	black markets, collapse of governments.
>
> Did you think he didn't really mean it?

I'm not sticking my head in that noose.

> As a start on getting up to speed on alternatives to our current "system
> of government" (and excellent entertainment besides), I recommend you
> read these works:
>     "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson
>     "The Ungoverned" by Vernor Vinge
> There are many others that could be added to this list but just reading
> these will give you a taste of some alternative societies that might be in
> many ways preferable to the current kleptocracy.
>
> - GH (who admits he's been heavily influenced by Mr. May)

So, now, it's...

"BlackNet; Case History of a Practically Untraceable System for Buying and
Selling Corporate and National Secrets.... to foreign adversaries, and to
spur the collapse of governments."

Just out of curiosity, how many of you would sign on to a project like that?
Would you please post a statement of interest, and detail how you would
contribute to such a project?

~Aimee