Reporter's shield laws

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sun Aug 26 11:59:35 PDT 2001

On Sunday, August 26, 2001, at 11:25 AM, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 09:55:05AM -0700, Tim May wrote:
>> Except that all it takes is for the judge to grant the witness
>> transactional or use immunity. Or even full immunity (less common, from
>> what I hear).
>>
>> "Mr. McCullagh, the court hereby grants you transactional immunity for
>> your testimony today. Now Mr. McCullagh, please answer the prosecutors
>> questions and give the court all of your notes made regarding this
>> witness."
>
> I didn't assert the 5A, but the 1A, during my brief experience before
> the Grumpy Judge.
>
> What Tim and Dave and John seem not to understand is that journalists
> routinely refuse to reveal their sources even when threatened with
> subpoenas and contempt of court. Some editors will only hire reporters
> who pledge they'll go to jail before revealing a source.

Don't tar me with that brush, Declan!

I said absolutely nothing about what fraction of reporters stand their
ground, what fraction roll over, what fraction end up going to jail on
contempt charges, and so on.

I've addressed two basic issues:

-- the issue of shield laws, which I think are clearly unconstitutional
and which raise issues of state sanctioning of some reporters over other
reporters

-- the claim that assertion of 5A rights lets a witness choose not to
testify

I made no claims about whether reporters routinely refuse to name their
sources. (I did hint that Jeff Gordon, the victim/witness/real
prosecutor probably took into account the "can of worms" he would be
opening if he sought to compell disclosure of certain things...an
implicit reference to the fact that many reporters will refuse to name
sources and to disclose things said to them.)

> Some
> journalists may be schmucks -- the local reporter in the Bell case who
> took the stand and blabbed for the better part of an hour is one
> example -- but many are principled. This may make prosecutors leery
> of calling them in the first place.

Hence the comment I made about can of worms.

I think John Young would have had a much harder time claiming reporter's
privilege. Checking the archives for the period when Bell was trying to
track down home addresses of agents should clarify this point. John
might have done better to assert 5A rights and make them force the issue
by dropping the line of questioning or granting him some form of
immunity.

--Tim May