The Privacy/Untraceability Sweet Spot

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Sun Aug 26 08:02:22 PDT 2001

On Sat, 25 Aug 2001, Tim May wrote:

> At the June meeting I drew a graph which makes the point clearly. A pity
> I can't draw it here. (Yeah, there are ways. My new Web page should have
> some drawings soon. But this list is about ASCII.)
>
> Plot "Value of Being Untraceable in a Transaction" on the X-axis. This
> is the perceived _value_ of being untraceable or private. Start with
> "little or nothing," proceed to "about a dollar" then to "hundreds of
> dollars" then to "thousands" then to "tens of thousands and more."  (The
> value of being untraceable is also the cost of getting caught: getting
> caught plotting the overthrow of the Crown Prince of Abu Fukyou, being
> outed by a corporation in a lawsuit, being audited by the IRS and them
> finding evaded taxes, having the cops find a cache of snuff films on
> your hard disk, and so on.)

Unfortunately the situation is more multi-variant than a simple two-axis
graph...

There needs to be at least a time axis added as well as splitting out the
'cost of transaction' from the 'cost of anonmymity'. By combining the two
a whole zoo of behaviours are ignored. Your graph, and any point from it,
isn't worth looking at in anything less thana 5-axis phase space.

            natsugusa ya...tsuwamonodomo ga...yume no ato
            summer grass...those mighty warriors'...dream-tracks

                                            Matsuo Basho

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com