Comped scribblers the bane of conferences

dmolnar dmolnar at hcs.harvard.edu
Sat Aug 25 23:51:14 PDT 2001

On Sat, 25 Aug 2001, Tim May wrote:

> (What might? Putting several of the main architects of competing systems
> like Freedom, Mojo, Morpheus, Mixmaster, etc. together in a room with
> plenty of blackboards, a lot of beer, and some folks like Lucky, Wei
> Dai, Hal Finney, and others to hash out some of the tough issues and
> maybe catalyze some breakthroughs. Looking at the topics, I see the
> likely paper contributors will be academics and corporate
> ladder-climbers.)

That's what targeted publicity is for -- making sure the right people see
the message and show up (and maybe publish something). While I didn't make
it to the 2001 Berkeley workshop, I know that some of the Freenet
developers were there. ZKS was well-represented. I think the Mojo people
were there, though I could be wrong. That's a start.

Then once everyone's there, the rest is a matter of (non)scheduling and
beer ordering. (well, and Kahlua maybe).

So what I should do now, I guess, is contact the Morpheus team and
convince them to come. maybe submit something if they feel like it.

-David