Comped scribblers the bane of conferences

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sun Aug 26 00:11:35 PDT 2001

On Saturday, August 25, 2001, at 11:51 PM, dmolnar wrote:

> So what I should do now, I guess, is contact the Morpheus team and
> convince them to come. maybe submit something if they feel like it.

I need to add another comment.

I don't know if you speak for the P.E.T. Workshop or not, Dave, but the
mistake with this and similar recent conferences is to think that you
can just issue a "cattle call" for papers and have interesting papers
come in.

The challenge when launching a new conference, as in Information Hiding,
Financial Cryptography, this one, is to do more than just issue cattle
calls.

Sadly, too many of these b.s. conferences take the easy way out and just
do the cattle call, hoping that some droids at Philips or Siemens or
Intel will write up something vaguely related to the ostensible theme of
the conference.

The frosting on the cake will be when Esther Dyson is invited to give
the keynote speech.

--Tim May