Comped scribblers the bane of conferences

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat Aug 25 20:25:43 PDT 2001

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 05:44:39PM -0700, Tim May wrote:
> I won't pay these rates for _any_ conference. Greg Broiles hit the nail
> on the head: the only ones worth paying for are the ones with short-term
> economic payoff. For CFP, this probably means law firms hoping to get
> some business, or hoping to recruit some lawyers.

CFP is still worth attending, but more as a social event nowadays.
It's started to become a corporate-privacy-officer conference. I was
chatting two weeks ago with a friend who's a CPO at one of the
valley's largest firms and my friend was talking about suggesting a
panel on "how firms can comply with european data directive stuff."
Not unimportant in a practical sense, but hardly interesting, or
cypherpunkish.

-Declan