Lawyers, Guns, and Money

Jim Windle jim_windle at eudoramail.com
Sat Aug 25 18:39:11 PDT 2001

On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 16:29:21   Tim May wrote:

>I can think of some scientists who had enormous influences on policy,
>men like Szilard, Von Neumann, Fermi, Einstein, Oppenheimer, Teller, and
>a bunch of others

As an addendum I would add Claude Shannon.  In fact I can't think of a single lawyer in the 20th century who had the long term influesnce on society that either Shannon or von Neumann did.  The list of other influential non-lawyers might also be expanded to include Turing, Godel, von Braun, Crick and Watson.  Washington's myopia in thinking olny lawyers are worth listening to is indicative of the type of government we have.

Jim