Comped scribblers the bane of conferences

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sat Aug 25 17:10:46 PDT 2001

At 09:02 AM 08/25/2001 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>I'll probably attend the next CFP the way I attended the very first one...
>by sitting in the comfortable chairs in the lobby area.

The....Comfy Chair?
http://montypython.net/scripts/spanish.php

One of the difficulties of working in the Bay Area is that when conferences
*are* here, I often don't get a chance to get to the daytime parts,
and many of them are price-structured in a way that you can't just
pay for evening events.  So hanging around the lobby and the bar in the evening
is the way to get to them.

For Usenix, that's not so bad - it's always been part relaxicon
as well as session-oriented convention, and more than a few companies
have started out with conversations in the bar....