Jim Bell sentenced to 10 years in prison

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat Aug 25 13:37:37 PDT 2001

John, calm down. I replied to all on a message you wrote; I asked
you for a different file format. It had nothing to do with the
substance of the case.

Also, your "if my name does not show up on the To: line I'm OK" is
terribly naive. A prosecutor would show to the jury the "In-Reply-To:"
header that shows I'm replying to your message, the quoted text below
which demonstrates the same thing, or even the fact that I started
this message with your name, as you did to me.

The problem with your analysis is that it's impressionist, and perhaps
a little terrified. You chose to testify without hiring a lawyer, a
bad move that left you at the mercy of the prosecutor. What you should
have done (if you have the resources; I know cryptome is hardly a
for-profit venture) is said you were a journalist and refused to
answer questions beyond did-you-publish-this-article. (At the time,
you told me representing yourself on the stand gave you more leeway
and protection, a belief that turned out not to be correct.)

Instead, you ended up chatting as much as that local reporter.

Just because the "homeland war" -- which you seem overly fixated on --
will likely lead to an erosion of some liberties, it does not
logically follow that it will lead to an erosion of all of them.  I
urge you and any other publisher/reporter/commentator types reading
this not to stand up for your First Amendment rights and not assume
that you must divulge unpublished information about sources if you
happen to receive a subpoena. See documents at:
http://www.mccullagh.org/subpoena/

I don't remember telling you that what you (John Young) told me would
be "someday revealed in court" and I suspect you
misunderstood. (Unless I was talking about wiretaps or electronic
surveillance.) I did not reveal what, if anything, Jim Bell told me,
during my brief courtroom appearance, which prompted the prosecutor to
say I was a "hostile witness." As I've said here quite, my general
policy is that I treat information that I collect during newsgathering
and reporting purposes in confidence. Most other reporters do the same,
and complaining about "homeland wars" does not change that fact.

-Declan