Comped scribblers the bane of conferences

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat Aug 25 09:57:47 PDT 2001

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 09:38:34AM -0700, Tim May wrote:
> Granted, the conference gets publicity. But, presumably, the magazine or
> other outlet gets readers and viewers. A two-way street, right?

Maybe. But so far, market forces have prompted few conferences to try
to push journalists around and try to make this argument. I covered
PFF's Aspen conference this week. If I had to pay $800, I probably
wouldn't have gone.

> Frankly, I don't understand why CFP doesn't just accept the inevitable
> and move the conference to Washington, D.C. permanently.

Tim, you're not thinking like a Washingtonian. The point of having CFP
held in other cities (and, in the case of Toronto, another country
last year) is so Washingtonians get a nice junket.

-Declan