lawyerpunks-in-training...?

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat Aug 25 07:35:23 PDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 07:00:57AM -0500, Steve Furlong wrote:
> things I could do with a law degree, such as beat up on lawyers who were beating up on free
> software projects. The program takes four years of "part time" study if you wish to take the
> bar afterward, or three years if you just want a JD.

Steve:
An interesting project, and I wish you well. You may be in a good position
to respond to nastygrams that lawyers beating up on free software projects
send. But it strikes me that if you want to get involved in even a semi-serious
legal defense, it may be more than you can afford pro bono unless you're
at a large law firm. Even the PETA case (which I wrote about today for
Wired) involves over $300K in legal fees and misc. expenses, and that was just
over a domain name.

-Declan