Security Against Compelled Disclosure

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Fri Aug 24 20:23:06 PDT 2001

I realize this discussion was a couple of weeks ago, but I'm just catching
up to it now :-)

Ignoring the flamage and the inter-listmanager discussions, if possible,
I'd like to address the problem of removing attachments.

Removing big attachments is one thing,
but there are a number of posters whose mail programs use MIME
in ways that are likely to get removed, even if they're just using it
for PGP signatures.  While I'd prefer to encourage such people not to
use formats like that, they *do* happen (especially on the
remailer-operators list,
where each different sub-version of Mutt seems to use a different format...)

Tim May periodically flames the users of attachments, and while I agree that
binary attachments are often non-portable and non-readable by many people,
there are attachments that are just text with MIMEage headers around it,
which are perfectly fine - if your reader can't do anything useful to
display it,
it *should* be able to show you the raw message body and let you read around
the junk, just as you'd probably read around PGP signature headers.

         Bill