Send Law Students, Idealists and Grant Proposals. Was: Re: Lawyers, Guns, and Money

r.duke at freedom.net r.duke at freedom.net
Thu Aug 23 13:48:28 PDT 2001

At 18:07 22/08/2001 -0400, dmolnar wrote:
>On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 r.duke at freedom.net wrote:
>
> > the Internet & law? There are a few such groups, I think. I'm pretty sure
> > Harvard has
> > one. Do things like that only make a difference if you manage to publish
>
>The Berkman Center for Internet and Society.
>
>http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. I've had a look around, and can't
actually find many other similar groups. Mind you, most of the lawyers I've
spoken to seem feel that the Internet is nothing new, legally. This leads
me to think that lawyers on the whole, are not particularly imaginative or
attentive people.

>They also have a newsletter, "The Filter," which is sometimes interesting.
>This year they started running a 5-day "Internet Law Program of
>Instruction,"  if you happen to have a spare $2500.

Oh hurrah. A bargain.

>(Tangentially, who attends MIT's 6.87s? and what do they do
>with it afterwards? I've received solicitations to attend via mail for the
>past couple of years; I suspect because I am an ACM SIGSAC member.
>http://web.mit.edu/professional/summer/courses/computer/6.87s.html
>If *anyone* could get the material across in 4 days, it would be those two
>-- but I'm not sure that this is possible...)

Four days for all that? Perhaps it involves time travel.

++rd