Gnutella scanning instead of service providers.

Steve Mynott steve at tightrope.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 11:10:59 PDT 2001

"Gary Jeffers" <jeffersgary at hotmail.com> writes:

>    Would it be possible to write some kind of scanner that would look
> at an ISP, say for example, htc.net and display all the Gnutella users
> there? We seem to be over the "fax effect" (a Snelling point?)

It's a one liner with the fairly standard UNIX tools that ship with
OpenBSD and at least SuSE Linux.

$ for i in `host -a -l -vv htc.net | grep ppp | awk '{print $5}'`; do nc -w 2 -z $i 6346; done

(you can of course run gnutella on ports other than 6346)

1024/D9C69DF9 steve mynott steve at tightrope.demon.co.uk

    too many pieces of music finish too long after the end.  igor stravinsky