Top Firms Retreat Into Bunker To Ward Off 'Anarchists'

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Thu Aug 23 09:26:18 PDT 2001

That's rather old news, and was even rather old news when the newspapers
discovered it; the "anarchist protestors" PR spin was just taking advantage
of current events to hook an article on.
Ben Laurie and thebunker.net are well known in cypherpunks circles,
and you'll find a fair bit of discussion in the cypherpunks archives.
IIRC, they were even bidding on a second bunker for expansion space,
though given the last 3 months' transition in the US internet hosting space
market
(from "We're all building like mad!" to "Ohhh, noooo!  What a glut!")
I hope they're able to make the right financial choices.
The UK is probably not flooded with the things yet, and
while a nuclear-proof bunker may be overkill for offsite backup space,
you do need a certain level of security and reliable power
if you're in a business like banking that can't afford to lose data.

Also see the last month's worth of userfriendly.org/static cartoons....