Lawyers, Guns, and Money

dmolnar dmolnar at hcs.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 21 16:30:38 PDT 2001

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Faustine wrote:

> Harvard is supposed to have the best program, but here's a little something
> I found online from the University of British Columbia which explains what
> it's all about. This one seems a little business-heavy, but other analysis
> programs have a lot more room to focus on technology policy. At least this

Perhaps in evaluating potential programs, it would be helpful to list
people in the policy + technology area who are worth looking into. Along
perhaps with which institutions they studied at? I'll start. I regret that
I'm not familiar with this area, and so I'm sure I'll overlook many
interesting people. I'm also not sure what to do about people with some
policy interests who are primarily cryptographers -- do we include Ron
Rivest because of his work on electronic voting?

--------------------------------------
L. Jean Camp (currently at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government)

Was a student at CMU with Doug Tygar. Since then, Tygar has moved to
UC-Berkeley; I don't know if Berkeley has any similar technology + policy
program.  She has done some work which would be of interest, including
protocols for anonymous transactions, papers on how to handle law
enforcement, and "Pricing Security."(Maybe relevant to the recent debate
over insurance incentives for computer security; I haven't read it yet.)

Home page:
http://ksgnotes1.harvard.edu/degreeprog/courses.nsf/wzByDirectoryName/L.JeanCamp
Publications:
http://ksghome.harvard.edu/~.jcamp.academic.ksg/cv.html
------------------------------

Lorrie F. Cranor (ATT Research)

http://lorrie.cranor.org/
Works on Publius, P3P, online voting, other privacy-related issues.
Attended Washington University in St. Louis for her PhD.
Has links to pages on "Social Informantics" and "Value-Sensitive Design"
which may be of interest. (Personally, I am intrigued, but I have a low
tolerance for the way in which these are talked about; which is part of
why I was not a History of Science major.)

-------------------------------
Susan Landau (Sun Microsystems)
http://www.sun.com/research/people/slandau/

Went to MIT. Wrote _Privacy on the Line: The Politics of Wiretapping and
Encryption_ with Whitfield Diffie.

--------------------------------

Michael Froomkin (U Miami law school)
http://www.law.tm/

Wrote "Flood Control on the Information Ocean." Among other things. Used
to show up on cypherpunks once upon a time. I don't see where he went, so
perhaps it doesn't matter.

By the way, what exactly do you *do* after you graduate from a technology
and policy program?

Every now and then I wonder if I will eventually end up in law school or a
policy + technology program. The thought is alternately exciting and
saddening. Then again, so is the prospect of being a "pure" researcher.

-David Molnar