Lawyers, Guns, and Money

Faustine a3495 at cotse.com
Tue Aug 21 15:05:04 PDT 2001

Tim wrote:

>But people should do what really drives them. Anyone going into law this
>late in the boom just to make money is probably going to be in for a
>rude awakening. Ditto for anyone going into it in order to do pro bono
>work on Cypherpunks issues.

Great points. If you're looking to make a difference re: cypherpunk and pro-
libertarian issues and have a scientific and practical streak, why not get
an advanced degree in policy analysis instead? You get a rock-solid
grounding in a number of critical disciplines, and put yourself in a
position to seriously affect policy on the broadest possible stage. Not for
the ideological "purists" out there, but personally I don't see anything at
all wrong with wringing every ounce of information you can get from the
real pros, whether they share your values or not. If there were a number of
people committed to advancing libertarian issues who took this approach, I
think it would be a great thing.

Harvard is supposed to have the best program, but here's a little something
I found online from the University of British Columbia which explains what
it's all about. This one seems a little business-heavy, but other analysis
programs have a lot more room to focus on technology policy. At least this
gets you in the ballpark:

Policy Analysis and Strategy

Overview
This PhD specialization covers both business strategy and public policy
analysis. It draws strongly on underlying foundations in economics and in
applied statistics. Topics in which faculty members have expertise include
entrepreneurship and venture capital finance, international investment, the
management of research and development, environmental management and
policy, experimental tests of game theory, competitive strategy and
competition policy, public enterprise and regulation, and international
trade policy.

Undergraduate or masters-level training in economics and/or quantitative
disciplines such as mathematics, statistics or engineering would be a
typical background for qualified students. Students with undergraduate
backgrounds in commerce or business who have focused on the more
quantitative areas would also be well qualified for the program.

Once students are admitted they have extensive interaction with faculty
members and attend a regular workshop run by the Policy Analysis Division,
in addition to normal course work. The first major supervised research
project is undertaken in the student's first summer. Except for those
funded from outside sources, at least three years of funding is guaranteed
to all admitted students.

Program of Study
There is considerable flexibility in the programs of individual students.
All students are required to take a faculty-wide course in research
methodology and a faculty wide course in teaching methods. Other required
courses include:
Economics 500 Microeconomic Theory
Economics 565 Market Structure
Commerce 581 or equivalent Statistical Methods
Commerce 691 Advanced Topics in Policy Analysis

The student will take at least four other courses to form two "fields" (two
courses per field) and will normally take one or more additional courses in
applied statistics or research methods. These courses will be chosen in
consultation with the Graduate Advisor and may be in the Commerce Faculty
or in other areas of study.

Students normally complete their course work in two years and write
comprehensive exams at the end of the second year. However, students who
have taken prior graduate work may be able to complete course work
requirements more quickly.

Sample Program Sequence
Year - 1 Fall COMM 693 (Research Methodology), COMM 581 (Statistical
Methods), Econ 500 (Microeconomic Theory), Elective or Field Course
Year - 1 Winter Econ 565, statistics course, 2 field courses
Year - 1 Summer Summer research paper

Year - 2 Fall EPSE 506 (Teaching), COMM 691 (Topics in Policy Analysis),
statistics course, field course
Year - 2 Winter Field courses, electives
Year - 2 Summer Comprehensive exams

Year - 3 Preparation and presentation of thesis proposal

Year - 4 Preparation and defense of thesis