Bomb Law Reporter - special edition

Gil Hamilton gil_hamilton at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 21 13:14:42 PDT 2001

Aimee Farr writes:
> >     It's also rather interesting that Aimee is objecting to
> > people "cowering behind remailers". On the cypherpunk list?
> > On the contrary, we should all be using remailers. Someone > seriously
>does need to start a node which only accepts posts
> > from remailers. I'm beginning to strongly suspect Aimee as > as troll.
>
>See Anderson v. Hale, N.D. Ill., No. 00-C-2021, 05/10/01

After two days of fighting with their Mickey Mouse software, I actually
managed to track down this case on the web page of the US District
Court for the Northern District of Illinois.  While somewhat interesting
with respect to the disclosure of personal details behind "anonymous"
email accounts, it's got very little to do with the snippet above that
it was offered in reply to.

Cypherpunks remailers do not have associated account identity
information as was being sought in this case (at least not to the extent
that such information is associated with the sender of one or more
particular messages).  In fact, the "anonymous" accounts referred to
in that case are/were not anonymous at all in the cypherpunkian sense
and did not issue via remailers; those accounts are pseudonymous (like
the account from which this message came [or the account known as
aimee.farr at pobox.com? :]).  This is why the people in that case really
were "cowering" behind their "remailers".  If they'd used cypherpunks-
anonymous remailers, they'd be raising their middle finger from behind
their remailers.

Finally, if Aimee doesn't wish to be perceived as a troll, she really
needs to try harder.  Echoing calls for Choate to provide summary
information describing the topics of URLs he forwards, I would like to
ask Aimee to provide a synopsis of cases she cites here and preferably
a few words on why she thinks that case is interesting or applicable to
the current thread.  Rather than just tossing the lawyerly pearls before
us unappreciative swine.

- GH