Bomb Law Reporter - special edition

Aimee Farr aimee.farr at pobox.com
Thu Aug 16 23:48:34 PDT 2001

[BLR has recently been the subject of media attacks and poison pen letters.]

"Bombmonger" wrote:

>     Amusing, Aimee -- or is it "Amusing Aimee"? But the real discussion
> was about protected speech, was it not? You previously posted a piece on
> "842" as if that were an actual statute forbidding the "teaching" of info
> on explosives and bombs. Where is that law, actually?

See United States Code, Title 18, Ch. 40, Section 842. Also see Section 844.
Lookee here: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/842.html United States v.
Progressive, 467 F.Supp. 990 (W.D. Wis. 1979), was a long time ago. I
recognize that successful prosecution is probably a long-shot.

>     This case is about someone selling pipe bombs, something totally
> different in the first place -- but protected activity under the 2nd,
> nonetheless. And yes, we are aware that undercover LEO's often act as
> agent provocateur. So what's your point? We also know, from the Judy
> Barri case that LEO's (FBI in this case) even teach bomb making them
> selves, and, quite possibly, even plant bombs in the cars of citizens
> they have under surveillance, even try to kill them. So what's your
> point?
>
> bombmonger

My point is that I'm sitting here talking to somebody named "bombmonger." Go
back to playing with sparklers and blowing things up in the microwave. If
you have any real bombs, I bet the ATF has a toll-free help-line, offering
friendly and immediate assistance to assist you through the "bomb
registration process."

...."quite possibly" ...FBI "Black Ops Blow-Em-Up" teams? Uh-uhm. If had to
guess, I would bet that explosives take a lot of paperwork. Bombs are not
efficient investigative tools for law enforcement. They blow up the evidence
and the criminal. It's hard to run surveillance on a blown-up target. That
would be LEA "disintermediation." They also make a lot of noise.

[Some cpunk] wrote:

>  >US v. "DUMB BOMB GUY," No 5555 (...in this country, recently.) [*FN1]
>
> <snip entertaining, probably fictional account>
>
>  >(1) These clubs describe themselves as outlaw motorcycle clubs because
>  >they "live outside the law."
>
> You are familiar with the terms "FUD" and "Propaganda" aren't you, Aimee?
> Is there a real case that can be cited properly?

Accusing me of trickery on the tribunal? Himf. See US v. EATON, No 00-1276
(10th Cir. August 14, 2001).

> How is discussing bomb recipes the same as discussing bomb deployment
> with stated intention to deploy?

Never said it was. However, talking about bombs and arms trafficking along
with crypto is like turning on a "UC bugzapper." You're talking about the
courtroom. Agents make the facts.

AGENT: "Oh, he's just talking about bomb recipes. If ONLY he would just
state his 'intention to deploy' so I could investigate and [...] to see just
what the heck he's doing over there."

AGENT: "Oh, they are talking about bombs, again. Oh, I would I could just
make them stop! Damn this free speech stuff!"

Bzzt.

I am aware of the long-standing, oft-debated, legal analogy between crypto
and bombs related to the First Amendment. (Heck, it's even in court
pleadings.) AN ANALOGY. For some reason, I think crypto + bomb talk = bad
things, and it's a mischaracterization of this forum.

~Aimee