NRC asks for reviewers for forthcoming Internet porn report

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Wed Aug 15 16:35:32 PDT 2001

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Jim Choate wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Sampo Syreeni wrote:
>
>> Maybe, maybe not. I'm the first to agree that porn *should* be treated as
>> equal to other speech,
>
>But 'porn' is no more speech than 'murder' is. What makes porn so
>offensive isn't the pictures, but the ACTS that had to be commited to
>create the speech.

You mean acts which consenting adults perform voluntarily?
In most off-camera cases, acts which signify love and trust
with a life partner? Acts on some of which the continuation
of the species depends?

The idea that such acts are somehow "wrong" or "criminal" is
ridiculous.  And you are asking us to believe that the
images or descriptions of such acts are heinous because they
inherit wrongness or criminality from the acts themselves?

Go soak your head.

			Bear
			(Who happens to enjoy sex)