NRC asks for reviewers for forthcoming Internet porn report

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Aug 14 16:17:18 PDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 03:32:06PM -0700, Tim May wrote:
> Whether the technology yet exists to allow parents (or wives) to block
> certain sites is neither here nor there, and it's a shame something
> called "The National Research Council" is getting involved in this.

The NRC is very prestigious. It is part of the even more prestigious
National Academies, which includes the Nataional Academy of Sciences,
the National Academy of Engineering, and the Institute of Medicine.

It's not really the NRC's fault; Congress made them do it in a
recently-enacted law. NRC staffers are trying to make the most of it
(though quitting is also an option). The real story here is the risks
of having a government-funded "science" center tasked with
"investigating" political issues like Net porn. Private research
institutions don't have the same problem.

>. I tried to read the NRC's "Crypto" > report...even went
>to the Palo Alto unveiling. B-o-r-i-n-g!)

I found it in a used bookstore yesterday on 18th st NW. Maybe I can
offload mine there too.

-Declan