NRC asks for reviewers for forthcoming Internet porn report

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Aug 14 17:15:54 PDT 2001

On Tuesday, August 14, 2001, at 04:17 PM, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 03:32:06PM -0700, Tim May wrote:
>> Whether the technology yet exists to allow parents (or wives) to block
>> certain sites is neither here nor there, and it's a shame something
>> called "The National Research Council" is getting involved in this.
>
> The NRC is very prestigious. It is part of the even more prestigious
> National Academies, which includes the Nataional Academy of Sciences,
> the National Academy of Engineering, and the Institute of Medicine.

I doubt the "prestigious" part, at least out here in the boondocks of
Silicon Valley. Herb Lin may be a nice enough droid, but he certainly
wouldn't be an attractive hire to the Intels, Ciscos, Ebays, Oracles,
and others in the Valley.

The last Washington insider hired by a Valley company was, IIRC, Joe
Lockhart, former press secretary to Clinton. Larry Ellison hired him to
do something vice presidential at Oracle. He lasted several months, then
left "to spend more time with his family" or somesuch. (If I'm wrong
about it being Lockhart, I'm definitely right about it being Oracle. A
search should turn up the details.)

The National Research Council is inconsequential, which is why they are
now carrying water for the anti=porn crusaders.

--Tim May