NRC asks for reviewers for forthcoming Internet porn report

James B. DiGriz jbdigriz at dragonsweb.org
Tue Aug 14 10:49:39 PDT 2001

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, James B. DiGriz wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>
> > ----- Forwarded message from Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com> -----
> >
> > From: Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com>
> > Subject: FC: NRC asks for reviewers for forthcoming Internet porn report
> > To: politech at politechbot.com
> > Cc: HLin at nas.edu
> > Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:37:21 -0400
> >
> > Background from Politech archives:
> >
> > "Net-sex NRC panel asks for testimony, will hold regional mtgs"
> > http://www.politechbot.com/p-01852.html
> >
> > "Patricia Nell Warren's comments to NAS porn panel"
> > http://www.politechbot.com/p-01615.html
> >
> > "National Academy of Sciences panel hears about porn & kids"
> > http://www.politechbot.com/p-01571.html
> >
> > "Free speech advocates fret about NAS Net-porn commission"
> > http://www.politechbot.com/p-01567.html
> >

> This is science???
>
> What I want to know is: what color should the pantaloons on the piano legs
> be?
>
> jbdigriz

Let me elaborate:

  Panels, meetings, testimony...where's the research? What is even being
studied here? This sounds like a "problem" fumbling around until it
reaches a critical consensus of definition. The opportunities for
shenanigans, for good or ill,  should be evident.

 Personally, I was a horny little fucker as a kid. I won't say when
exactly, but the the lurid pulp covers at my eye level at the time tended
to focus on Ilsa the she-bitch of the SS S&M type themes. I DID find this
somewhat disturbing, if fascinating. It was not till sometime later that a
friend and I discovered his father's Playboy collection (my old man kept
his stash a lot better hidden)  and I was exposed to more gratifyingly wholesome
images. I can't say that any of it did me any harm, though.

 Anecdotal, to be sure, but it tallies with my observations of children in
recent years, whether watching cable, surfing, or whatever. I know there
are folks who won't abide it, but they will be better served by
Consumer Reports.

And so I've said my say,
jbdigriz