Affects of the balkanization of mail blacklisting

Eric Murray ericm at lne.com
Tue Aug 14 08:11:10 PDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 11:33:36PM -0500, measl at mfn.org wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Jared Mauch wrote:
>
> > > No, I'm not talking about the spammers who were caught in maps, I'm
> > > referring to the INNOCENTS who were caught in MAPS.  If the LEO community
> > > acted like MAPS does, there would have been armed revolution in the
> > > streets *years ago*.
> > >
> > > MAPS never gave a shit about facts, they cared only about their agenda -
> > > no matter who got hurt in the way.
> > >
> > > Fuckem.  Vixie is a netnazi who would do us all a favor if he just blew
> > > what little brains he has left out of his left ear.
> >
> > 	I think you are confused and talking about ORBS.  the MAPS people
> > have not acted with any agenda that I've ever seen.
>
> I assure you I am not confused.  ORBS was intolerably worse, but MAPS is
> still not something I am looking forward to seeing survive.

The best way to do that is to produce a solution that's better than MAPS.
If you strongly beleive in end-user filtering, then make a better
end-user filter.  In fact you can start with mine (see web page)
and make it user-friendly enough that your Mom can use it.
Then it might see significant use.

MAPS might not have been perfect, and ORBS was overly agressive, but
they were actually doing something.  It was simple, just add
a couple lines to your sendmail.cf and much of your spam
would go away.  Great for ISPs with users complaining about spam.
(that's a hint about how your better-than-MAPS system might work).

[stuff deleted]

It's easier to write a rant than it is to write code, but
code is what counts.

Eric