Traceable Infrastructure is as vulnerable as traceable messages.

Eugene Leitl Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Aug 13 10:02:39 PDT 2001

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Eric Murray wrote:

> Especially with the press constantly telling them "Linux is hard".

If they listen to the press, they have only themselves to blame.
Sheep frequently end as yummy lamb chops.

> Most people know that MS software is buggy and inecure. But they think
> that it is normal to have to reboot your computer daily and to get
> infected with worms through your email.  After all, it's the same for
> all their friends and co-workers, how can they even know to expect
> anything else?

Does ignorance make you somehow immune against consequences? One can
acquire new friends, or use the frigging search engine instead of the
game/Bud afternoon, for starters.

> Almost all the press tells them that MS is the only way to go and that
> anything else is wierd and hard to run.  The unreliability and

Awww, my heart bleeds for the poor lambs.

> security holes are just a burden to be borne...  it's remarkable how
> much people can tolerate if it's done to them gradually.

If they tolerate it, it isn't hurting bad enough.

Why don't you let Darwin sort them out? If they think NT in naval hardware
context or Outlook on the ISS is a smart thing to do, why don't you let
them find it out the hard way? Of course it limits your choices if you
make a living in IT, but there are always niches. If it gets bad enough,
you can always find a few sensible folks, or an entirely new field.

-- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204/">leitl</a>