Terrorist and Pedophiles

Eric Cordian emc at artifact.psychedelic.net
Mon Aug 13 18:27:29 PDT 2001

J.A. Terranson wrote:

>> Regarding terrorists.  Our government conveniently defines a "terrorist"
>> as any sub-national group that breaks the law in order to influence
>> opinion.

>> Note under such a definition, no recognized government can commit a
>> terrorist act, even if it firebombs nuns and orphans holding kittens.

> Close, but not quite.  It does not require the breaking of law, only
> actions which are in some way "offensive".

>From Title 22 of the United States Code, Section 2656f(d) comes the
favorite definition of the US State Department...

"The term "terrorism" means premeditated, politically motivated violence
 perpetrated against noncombatant(1) targets by subnational groups or
 clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience."

The footnote expands "noncombatant" to include any element of the military
that is not actually engaged in formal hostilities against you at the time
you attack it.

So under the State Department's definition, unless official war is
currently being waged around the target, all attacks on US Servicemen, and
US military bases and assets, are "terrorist" attacks.  Nothing Israel
does to the Palestinians is "terrorist", but everything the Palestinians
do in response is "terrorist," of course.

According to the state department, "noncombatants" can actually be
property, as opposed to people, so taking a few whacks at an oil pipeline
with a baseball bat is "terrorism" too.

Unless you're a government, of course.

Premeditated violence by persons in no official position of authority is
generally unlawful, as far as I know.  Perhaps you could think up an
exception, but I'm not aware of any.

--
Eric Michael Cordian 0+