Traceable Infrastructure is as vulnerable as traceable messa ges.

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Aug 13 07:59:48 PDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 10:30:14AM -0400, Trei, Peter wrote:
> I occasionally see the argument that NSA can't retain people due
> to the much higher salaries, etc, in the public sector. While I have
> no doubt that this is partially true, there are plenty of very good
> people who find that the non-tangible benefits - patriotism, a sense
> that one's work is important, that one is a trusted member of
> the inner circle and privy to secret knowledge - are more than
> enough to make up for a civil service paycheck. No one should
> discount these factors just because they don't move them
> themselves.

Right. I know people who are NSA employees, technical ones, with
surprisingly enviable jobs. They put in four 10 hour days and can
count it as a week.  In fact, because in some areas (system
administrators, hardware techs) NSA has more people than they need,
the people I know often stay home one extra day a week.

So that's a three day work week, with a high-five figure salary, a
security clearance that will instantly get you a better paid job in
the consulting/contracting industry if you leave, and the security of
government work. Not a job that'll let you change the world, perhaps,
but not terribly dismal either.

-Declan