Stem Cell Speech?

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Sat Aug 11 23:01:38 PDT 2001

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Matthew Gaylor wrote:

> [Charles Platt is senior writer for WIRED Magazine and an author and
> former science fiction editor when he's not enjoying his "retirement"
> in northern Arizona.  I don't know the answer to Charles' question,
> but perhaps my distinguished readers will?]
>
> Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 01:10:52 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Charles Platt <cp at panix.com>
> To: Matthew Gaylor <freematt at coil.com>
> Cc: <cp at panix.com>
> Subject: stem cell speech
>
> Matt, I am baffled that I have not read, anywhere, a suggestion from
> anyone that George Bush has no constitutional right to set science policy.

I have, for many years. Check the archives.

I've also claimed that strictly speaking the Air Force, NASA, NSF, NOAA,
etc. are actually unconstitutional. Why? Because the 10th requires some
sort of deligate (at least a sentence fragment) in the Constitution for
all laws. And there ain't one for any of these efforts.

[Note: I also do not suggest they be shutdown, only that a discussion of
       existance and suitable amendments be created. Especially NASA,
       I believe strongly that a federaly mandated support level via
       amendment is in their best interest. At least they'd have a
       guaranteed minimum. ]

            natsugusa ya...tsuwamonodomo ga...yume no ato
            summer grass...those mighty warriors'...dream-tracks

                                            Matsuo Basho

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com