BOMB *SPEECH*

Aimee Farr aimee.farr at pobox.com
Sat Aug 11 22:10:02 PDT 2001

> From: owner-cypherpunks at lne.com [mailto:owner-cypherpunks at lne.com]On
> Behalf Of Secret Squirrel
>
>   Why is everyone pussyfooting around the bomb plan thing

No "bomb plans" in here. I never got the idea there was "a plan," It's
so-called "bomb speech," and controversy has raised to the status of
metaphor for the First Amendment -- a form of online, nonviolent protest on
free speech restrictions.

> all the time? Why doesn't one of the lawyers on the list,

Thanks for volunteering me, Secret Squirrel. But, no thanks, I pay attention
to details.

> or somebody like Tim, who can afford a good lawyer, just
> start a daily posting of pages from one of those CIA
> manuals that Loompanics or whoever sells, with all
> the explosive and incendiary formulas? What possible
> charge could the trolling LEO's make?

Stupidity.

The thing about stupidity is that it can give people the justification to
find something "smart," or somebody else "smarter."

Here is "842" --- I assume this is what everybody is talking about?
------------
(2) Prohibition. - It shall be unlawful for any person -

(A) to teach or demonstrate the making or use of an explosive, a destructive
device, or a weapon of mass destruction, or to distribute by any means
information pertaining to, in whole or in part, the manufacture or use of an
explosive, destructive device, or weapon of mass destruction, with the
intent that the teaching, demonstration, or information be used for, or in
furtherance of, an activity that constitutes a Federal crime of violence; or

(B) to teach or demonstrate to any person the making or use of an explosive,
a destructive device, or a weapon of mass destruction, or to distribute to
any person, by any means,
information pertaining to, in whole or in part, the manufacture or use of an
explosive, destructive device, or weapon of mass destruction, knowing that
such person intends to use the
teaching, demonstration, or information for, or in furtherance of, an
activity that constitutes a Federal crime of violence.
-----

Legality? Can they make the intent stick? I dunno, I'm not a "bomb lawyer."
I would imagine mailing lists lend themselves to conspiracy. Do you ever
"conspire?" Criminal lawyers tell me that's bad.

BTW, have there been any ..."conspiratorial activities threatening the
national security interest" in here? Ever? What about "malicious mischief?"
Some of you sound awful mischievous to me..... Any indications that anybody
in here is engaged in the "unlawful use of explosives?" Oh, I'll just Google
it up. I forget. How convenient.

~Aimee