FBI must reveal computer snooping technique

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Fri Aug 10 06:52:37 PDT 2001

At 03:15 PM 8/9/01 -0700, mmotyka at lsil.com wrote:
>David Honig wrote:
>>
>> Yes, but it would resolve whether software could find the trojan
>> or whether you have to check your cables for extra lumps.

>So if it is SW and you write some little ring 0 code that repeatedly
>walks the chain from the kyb input to your apps you'll feel safe? You're
>assuming a one trick pony in a static world.
>
>Mike

Well, I said only that knowing hardware xor software  would
tell you what you *could* do.  I didn't say it would be *easy*.

If you ran a file-system-integrity-checker and kept your checksums
in a different system, you'd catch some changes.  As well as your
more directed search.  The more the merrier; defense in depth.

That being said, due diligence (vigilance?) requires the readers of this list
to consider both, and countermeasures to same.  And 'out of the box' hazards
like video bugs in the smoke detector.

dh