keylogger detection

Faustine a3495 at cotse.com
Thu Aug 9 17:44:15 PDT 2001

Bear wrote:

>However, in both xwindows and microsoft windows, there are higher-level
>key handling routines that have 'hooks' which something can be attached
>to so that one application can detect keystrokes directed to another.
>These constitute independent sequences that would have to be checked,
>and that would be a bit harder.

You might have a look at PCiHookProtect 2.05 if you don't feel like writing
it yourself--their heuristic analysis is pretty interesting. It takes
awhile to run but I've never seen another program quite like it; if you
know of anything better, drop me a line.

~Faustine.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/8839/hookprot.html

HookProtect's main features are:

- detection of loggers and monitoring programs loaded
in memory;

- discovery of loggers and monitoring programs located
on  hard  drive but not loaded in memory by using special
technology of heuristic analysis;

- listing of all loaded modules and opened files;

- monitoring  of  files activity (files and directories
creations, deletions, renames, changes in attributes, size
and time - all by user's choice) on selected directory;

- detailed information in log file;

- Windows 95/98 and Windows NT Workstation 4.0 support;
   Description of hooks in Windows 9x/NT