Linux On Steroids: DIY supercomputer software from Sandia

Harmon Seaver hseaver at ameritech.net
Thu Aug 9 13:14:22 PDT 2001

      Also it's highly recommended to use dual cpu motherboards for
building clusters, which doubles your processing power w/o adding much
at all to the electric bill. But you probably are over estimating the
power needs -- you don't need the drives or video or soundcards, so you
dump those. When I build mine, I'm going to also get rid of the
individual PS as well, use DC/DC converters and a central PS running it
all off a 12v battery bank hopefully solar powered.
       Sure, for a university or business, clustering the already
available desktop boxes would be the way to go (at least if you had a
linux lab), but having even 4 dual 1ghz motherboards would be a fun toy.

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS
CyberShamanix
Work 920-203-9633   hseaver at cybershamanix.com