Keylogger detection

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Thu Aug 9 14:07:43 PDT 2001

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, A. Melon wrote:

>   What is needed, seriously needed right now, is some good, open source
>surveillance dectection software. Something that would find key-logger
>software or hardware, something that would check your phone line thru
>your modem, maybe even could be used as a frequency analyzer with a
>usb or serial port "antenna" connection for laptops.
>    I'm sure this would be a really good commercial hit.
>Especially if the price could be kept under $500.

A hardware keylogger doesn't exist in software and cannot be detected
in software.

A software keylogger will be somewhere on the interrupt chain that
handles keystrokes, if it exists independently.  This is *THE*
spot where it would have to be planted for maximum coverage of all
keystrokes starting right after bootup, and ought to be easy to
detect.

However, in both xwindows and microsoft windows, there are higher-level
key handling routines that have 'hooks' which something can be attached
to so that one application can detect keystrokes directed to another.
These constitute independent sequences that would have to be checked,
and that would be a bit harder.

				Bear