FBI must reveal computer snooping technique

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Aug 9 11:05:06 PDT 2001

At 10:18 AM 8/9/01 -0700, David Honig wrote:

>The difference is that now the feds have to trust a judge with no
>security clearance/experience not to accidentally spill the beans.

Huh? Judges accept things under seal all the time. Wiretap orders, for
instance. The complaint in the Sklyarov case, for another. The judiciary
has even has fairly in-depth internal security procedures (I quoted from
some in recent Wired articles on Scarfo) triggered when certain classified
document cases come up.

-Declan