Traceable Infrastructure is as vulnerable as traceable messages.

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Aug 9 00:36:26 PDT 2001

    --
Faustine:
> I think it's dangerous and entirely to your disadvantage to
> dismiss everyone doing government work in computer security as
> a donut- chomping incompetent Barney-Fife-clone imbecile.
>
> Anyone can laugh at the department heads on C-SPAN, but did you
> ever stop to think about who's really doing the hardcore
> research for the NSA at Ft. Meade--and elsewhere?

To judge by their most recent crypto ballsup, some donut chomping
incompetents.

> And did you ever think that they may have decided it's in their
> best interest to let otherwise informed and intelligent people
> like you laugh them off as third-rate and underfunded?

I would never imagine a government department to be underfunded.

James A. Donald:
> > Similarly consider the CIA, whose assessments of the Soviet
> > Union were consistently less accurate than my own.

> Not everyone who wrote assessments for CIA got them past the
> politicized review of deputy director Gates. As you may know,
> the whole culture in the 80s was characterized by a deep rift
> between two warring factions who literally referred to each
> other as "knuckledraggers" and "commie symps." If the symps had
> the upper hand instead of the knuckledraggers under Casey,
> there's not a doubt in my mind you would have seen an entirely
> different kind of intelligence product.

The commie symps favored the "alliance for progress", which shows
they were even further out of contact with reality than the
knuckledraggers.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     pwsZCPD6q7113H400Rs9K5JCzrrsWPOl6bI7Tvnp
     4E235p2QsARNd3MJytLRqPWA6e1tPeFgkVTDyQmUW