NGOs and Black Bag Jobs? Was: Re: Secret Warrants and Black Bag Jobs--Questions

Black Unicorn unicorn at schloss.li
Wed Aug 8 17:23:08 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim May" <tcmay at got.net>
To: <cypherpunks at lne.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: Secret Warrants and Black Bag Jobs--Questions

> On Wednesday, August 8, 2001, at 04:03 PM, Dr. Evil wrote:
>
> >> I agree with Dr. Evil about the unlikelihood of it ever happening, but
> >> if it
> >> did, I think the intruder is toast.  In California, there is the
> >> presumption
> >
> > Actually, now that I think about it, I think it is essentially
> > impossible for it to ever happen.  If it were to happen, it is almost
> > certain that either the breaking-and-entering team or the
> > suspect/homeowner or both would be injured or killed in the ensuing
> > firefight.  The FBI knows this.  Having agents injured is absolutely
> > unacceptable to them, and having suspects injured or killed is also a
> > highly undesirable outcome for them.  You can be sure that during the
> > break-in, they would have a team watching every approach to the house.
> > If somehow or other someone showed up to enter the house during this
> > time, and the FBI couldn't get him distracted in some way, they would
> > just flash their badges and arrest him before he went in.
>
> And now that I think about it some more as well, I wonder if some of the
> more controversial black bag jobs are subcontracted out to NGOs. The
> stuff of many a bad B-movie on late night cable, there are still a lot
> of reasons why gangs would be hired to hit the homes of political
> dissidents.

Absolutely they are- but quite a bit more sophisticated than the "gang" or
"mafia" contacts a la the U.S. and Cuba in the 1960s.

See e.g. E-Systems (look particularly at it's board of directors- a who's who
of former intelligence big wigs).

8 of every 10 dollars in their contracting revenue are from classified
projects.

E-Systems employees were frequently doing counter-narcotics intelligence work
inside the U.S. and reporting directly to intelligence agencies without the
charter to operate domestically.  This came to light more recently when one
E-Systems employee- while cleaning his weapon in a motel room in preparation
for an operation- had an accidental discharge and killed a guest in the
adjacent room.  (4+ million paid to the widow after a lawsuit in 1991).