Advertisements on Web Pages

phelix at vallnet.com phelix at vallnet.com
Wed Aug 8 13:21:49 PDT 2001

On 8 Aug 2001 15:04:24 -0500, "Trei, Peter" <ptrei at rsasecurity.com> wrote:

>Over 20-30 DVDs I've seen none *forced* you to watch the
>trailers - they have always been part of the 'extra features' stuff off
>the main menu.
>
>OTOH, they all *do* force you to sit through the FBI and Interpol
>warnings for about 15 seconds.

Some discs disable the FF button and the menu button.  You can still skip
the ads, but you have to skip each ad individually (with the chapter skip
button).  I recall usenet discussions citing 6 - 8 ads at the beginning of
some discs.

I do recall Disney putting out a few DVDs that really did block all
attempts to skip ads, but they have since backed off on it.  I suggest
using google to search the newsgroup alt.video.dvd.