Advertisements on Web Pages

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Aug 8 12:02:13 PDT 2001

On Wednesday, August 8, 2001, at 11:44 AM, Ray Dillinger wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Tim May wrote:
>

>> (Ads could be tied-in to the content, with some light crypto or
>> copright
>> protection. A "circumvention" of this liight crypto could be a DMCA
>> violation. I would not be surprised to see this already impicated in
>> the
>> DVD cases: that 5 minute period of trailors that cannot be
>> fast-forwarded past...it's probably a violation of the DMCA to build
>> devices which circumvent the copyright holder's plans and intents.)
>
> They're sticking *trailers* on movies that people *pay for??*
>
> Geez.. talk about destroying the value of the merchandise they're
> trying to sell.

Yes, we have heard here (or at a physical meeting, I forget which). I
don't buy many DVDs, but this was discussed. Apparently the trailers and
ads cannot be fast-forwarded through...something built into the DVD spec
which allows this.

So an ad-buster which "circumvented" this would violate the DMCA,
presumably.

--Tim May