Advertisements on Web Pages

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Aug 7 19:08:15 PDT 2001

On Tuesday, August 7, 2001, at 05:41 PM, David Honig wrote:

> At 12:34 PM 8/7/01 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>>
>> Interestingly, about 15-20 years ago there was much talk of the "3M"
>> machine: a megapixel display, a megabyte of memory, and a million
>> instructions per second.
>
> I heard about it as the 1-M machine, with same qualifications.
> It had to have virtual memory to count as a real machine;
> I think the 386 or later had one.  Myself, I shared a
> monochrome 68K-based Sun3, and thought myself lucky.
> And only vision labs had cameras attached.

I  had a Symbolics 3600 Lisp Machine on my desk--well, the monitor for
it, at least. A few megs of RAM, a MIPS or so of processing power, and a
1024 x 768 (IIRC) monochrome display. And an "awesome" (by the standards
of 1985) 512 x 512 x 24 bits "Color System."

Did I have a camera attached? Yeah, in the lab next door.

Which explains why I skipped getting another IBM PC or Compaq when I
left and instead got a Mac Plus. A lot less powerful than a Symbolics,
but a lot more like a Symbolics than an IBM PC or PC AT was.

( I expect 98% of the readers here have no idea what a "Symbolics" is or
was.)

--Tim May