Advertisements on Web Pages

Harmon Seaver hseaver at ameritech.net
Tue Aug 7 12:10:06 PDT 2001

Tim May wrote:

> My friends and I have been joking for a while about how we'll need to
> buy 22-inch LCD monitors, like the Apple Cinema Display, just to be able
> to see content that isn't advertising.

        You mean you don't have a 21" monitor already? I was wondering at
what resolution you had your screen set to, with "one third" and "one
third", etc.  You might find the whole web experience to be at bit better
with at least 1024 resolution. I'm using 1152 on a 19" monitor, and the pop
ups don't take up all that much screen space.
        Still pretty annoying tho, and I understand what you're saying
about the problem --- it used to be just those horrid geocities and tripod
or whatever sites that did it. I do periodically turn off java and scripts,
but then I'll hit a site that I really want to see and won't work without
them.
       At some point, junkbuster or equivalent will just become a must
have.

> (I'm surprised no one has urged me to use Lynx. Is it still being used?)

         Sure, it still works for the most part. I use it to quick check
web pages from remote shell accounts.

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS
CyberShamanix