cypherpunks at cyberpass.net closing

Eric Murray ericm at lne.com
Tue Aug 7 11:22:36 PDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 11:07:14AM -0700, georgemw at speakeasy.net wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2001, at 8:51, Lance M. Cottrell wrote:
>
> > The cypherpunks at cyberpass.net node of the cypherpunks list will be
> > closing on Friday August 10.
> >
> > You should ensure that you are subscribed to a different node of the
> > cypherpunks list before that time.
> >
> > 	-Lance
> >

> Could some helpful soul post a current list of currently working
> remailers,  ideally with some commentary as to one might be better
> than another?

I assume given the context that you meant CDR, not remailer.

I wrote the stuff below to answer someone's request
for a list of CDRs and their policies.  I'd like
to keep it up to date and post it regularly.

Not all fields are filled in and some may be
incorrect.  Could the appropriate CDR ops
send me corrections/updates?

Thanks.

Cypherpunks Distributed Remailers list info.

Last updated: 8/7/01

This message is also available at http://www.lne.com/cpunk/cdr.html

The Cypherpunks list is a mailing list for discussing cryptography and
its effect on soceity.  It is not a moderated list (but see exceptions
below) and the list operators are not responsible for the list content.

The CDR is a distributed mailing list.  A subscriber can subscribe to one
node of the list and therby participate on the full list.  Each node
exchanges messages with the other nodes, so a message posted to one node
will be received by the list subscribers on the other nodes.

The various CDRs follow different policies on filtering spam and
to a smaller extent on modifying messages that go to/from their subscribers.
Filtering is done, on nodes that do it, to reduce the huge amount of spam
that the cypherpunks list is subjected to.

There are three basic flavors of filtering CDRs: "raw", which send all
messages to their subscribers. "cooked" CDRs try to eliminate the spam
on that's on the regular list by automatically sending only messages
that are from cypherpunks list subscribers (on any CDR) or people who
are replying to list messages.  And finally there are moderated lists,
where a human moderator decides which messages from the raw list to pass
on to subscribers.

Message modification policy indicates what modifications, if any, beyond
what is needed to operate the CDR are done (most CDRs add a tracking
X-loop header on mail posted to their subscribers to prevent mail loops).
Message modification usually happens on mail going in or out to each
CDR's subscribers. No CDRs modify mail that they pass from
one CDR to the next.

Privacy policy indicates if the list will allow anyone ("open"), or only
list members, or no one ("private") , to retreive the subscribers list.
Note that if you post, being on a "private" list doesn't mean much,
since your address is now out there.   It's really only useful for
keeping spammers from harvesting addresses.

All commands are sent in the body of mail unless otherwise noted.
Algebra:

Operator:
Help:             "help" to majordomo at algebra.com
Posting address:  cypherpunks at algebra.com
Filtering policy: raw
Message Modification policy:  no modification
Privacy policy: ???
Info:   ???

Infonex:

Help:             "help" to majordomo at infonex.com
Posting address:  cypherpunks at infonex.com
Filtering policy: raw
Message Modification policy:  no modification
Privacy policy: ???

Lne:

Help:             "help" to majordomo at lne.com
Posting address:  cypherpunks at lne.com
Filtering policy: cooked
 Posts from all CDR subscribers & replies to threads go to lne CDR subscribers.
 All posts from other CDRs are forwarded to other CDRs unmodified.
Message Modification policy:
 1. messages are demimed (MIME attachments removed) when posted
  through lne or received by lne CDR subscribers
 2. leading "CDR:" in subject line removed
 3. "Reply-to:" removed
Privacy policy: private
Info: http://www.lne.com/cpunk

Minder:

Help:             "help" to majordomo at minder.net
Posting address:  cypherpunks at minder.net
Filtering policy: raw

Help:             "help" to listproc at openpgp.net
Posting address:  cypherpunks at openpgp.net
Filtering policy: raw
Message Modification policy:  no modification
Privacy policy: ???

Ssz:

Help:             "help" to majordomo at ssz.com
Posting address:  cypherpunks at ssz.com