Safeweb [was: RE: Advertisements on Web Pages]

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Tue Aug 7 07:09:47 PDT 2001

> From: Tim May[SMTP:tcmay at got.net]
>

> Just a note about what's happening with Web advertising.
>
> Went to a site, www.imdb.com, to check something about a film. Up popped
> a doubleclick.net ad. In front of the main page, obscuring it. I clicked
> the close box. Up popped a _different_ ad. I clicked the close box. Yep,
> up popped a third ad box.  I closed it. I think it stopped at this point.

	[...]
> --Tim May

I do a lot of my random web browsing thru www.safeweb.com,
which allows me to disable pop-ups.

It also

1: Causes the direction and content of my browsing to be
obscured from any observer between me and the Safeweb site.

2: Obscures the target site from knowing who is surfing them.

3. Manages cookies intelligently.

It's not perfect - safeweb.com could build a pretty good profile
of where I surf. Ideally, you'd want to chain through two or more
non-colluding Safeweb type services - think of it as a remailer
for HTTP.

Also,  In-Q-Tel (the CIA VC firm) is one of Safeweb's investors
The CIA's story is that they want a way for their agents to surf
without leaving footprints. Safeweb appears to have been founded
a group of programmers of Chinese descent, and is designed to
act as a route around the Great Firewall of China. There's even a
entry proxy called 'Triangleboy' which should allow Safeweb to be
used if the main site is blocked.

Unlike a lot of the people on this list, these guys actually write
code.

Peter Trei