Star Chamber America

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Aug 7 09:15:54 PDT 2001

On Tuesday, August 7, 2001, at 06:19 AM, <measl at mfn.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, John Young wrote:
>
>> Cryptome has obtained 60 pages of public records filed in
>> USA v. Dmitry Sklyarov: five pages of Court documents and
>> 55 pages of submissions in support of Dmitry's character and
>> achievements. They are offered in compressed TIFF format:
>
> Most of these tiff files do not download: are they still "available"?  I
> was especially interested in the sealing order...

Maybe that was sealed? The warrant was sealed, the evidence was
sealed...one wonders why it was even announced that Dmitry was arrested?
Wouldn't it have been more consistent with the various levels of
Adobe-complicit secrecy and sealings to simply nab him out of his hotel
room and hold him for the star chamber proceedings next year?

Oh, I know why the "take down" was so loud and public: Adobe and the FBI
wanted a high-visibility case for the chilling effect. Well, Adobe got
their chilling effect--on them.

Welcome to Star Chamber America, where court orders are sealed, where
witnesses have their identities hidden, where Special Intelligence
Courts handle secret cases, and where some Cypherpunks even narc out
other list members in the hopes that listening Feds will order a
pre-dawn raid and trigger a firefight.

--Tim May