Advertisements on Web Pages

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Tue Aug 7 08:17:35 PDT 2001

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Tim May wrote:

>Just a note about what's happening with Web advertising.
>
>Went to a site, www.imdb.com, to check something about a film. Up popped
>a doubleclick.net ad. In front of the main page, obscuring it. I clicked
>the close box. Up popped a _different_ ad. I clicked the close box. Yep,
>up popped a third ad box.  I closed it. I think it stopped at this point.

Simple answer: turn off javascript and java.  It is generally not
used except to make ads more annoying.  If your browser allows it
(I gotta put in a plug for the registered version of Opera here)
turn off animated graphics.  These three simple acts will kill
over 90% of web advertising. If you're actually after *content*,
you can usually turn off autoloading of images as well, and that
will kill almost 100% of web advertising.

				Bear