Traceable Infrastructure is as vulnerable as traceable messages.

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Aug 7 04:38:47 PDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 01:04:29AM -0500, measl at mfn.org wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Petro wrote:
>
> > 	Were that to happen, I'd bet a bunch of new remailers would be
> > in place before the heliocopters were finished refueling.
>
> Obviously you don't run one: the resources required are _not_ trivial, at
> least from the bandwidth perspective.

Also, users won't immediately know about the new remailers or have any
idea of their reliability. And while the Feds may be generally
sluggish, when it comes to law enforcement (that is, remailer raids on
anti-terrorism pretexts), I suspect they can be quite efficient.  They
don't have to succeed entirely, just enough to terrorize remailer
operators and/or their Internet providers.

-Declan