Apollo 11 - For all mankind

Phillip H. Zakas pzakas at toucancapital.com
Mon Aug 6 13:13:09 PDT 2001

> Bear wrote:
> Note the commentary that it was "strictly a symbolic activity, as the
> United Nations Treaty on Outer Space precluded any territorial claim."

I thought it would be useful to post the US Dept of State's link to the
actual outer space treaty:
http://www.state.gov/www/global/arms/treaties/space1.html

The treaty section of interest to me is:
"...The establishment of military bases, installations and fortifications,
the testing of any type of weapons and the conduct of military maneuvers on
celestial bodies shall be forbidden. The use of military personnel for
scientific research or for any other peaceful purposes shall not be
prohibited. The use of any equipment or facility necessary for peaceful
exploration of the Moon and other celestial bodies shall also not be
prohibited..."

this doesn't seem to expressly prohibit the activity referred to in the US
Navy press release I sent out earlier today, but at the same time the spirit
of the outer space treaty doesn't seem to support the navy/SIGINT
activities, either.

phillip