Traceable Infrastructure is as vulnerable as traceable messages.

georgemw at speakeasy.net georgemw at speakeasy.net
Mon Aug 6 14:01:25 PDT 2001

On 6 Aug 2001, at 10:13, Ray Dillinger wrote:

> Offhand, I'd estimate that if three US remops were taken down
> forcefully, and the federal law looked as though any other could
> be, all but two or three hardcases would cease operating remailers
> in the USA.

Depends on exactly what you mean by "taken down forcefully".
If you just mean forced to cease operations without additional
repercussions, I think it's more likely that more would pop up.

>That would wipe out well over 70% of the remailers,
> leaving a very small universe indeed to monitor.
>
> 				Bear

Just speculation, or course, but I suspect there are quite a few
people out there who would be willing and able to run remailers but
don't bother doing it because there's no perceived need
and no real payoff.

I believe in principle a mixmaster network really only needs
two remailers to exist to function properly.

George