Spoliation cites

Aimee Farr aimee.farr at pobox.com
Fri Aug 3 20:43:12 PDT 2001

> At 09:50 AM 8/3/01 -0700, jamesd at echeque.com wrote:
> >
> >Lots of people, among them various companies I worked for, have
> been doing
> equivalent things with shredders, selective backup, and so on and
> so forth,
> routinely destroying records, in part because excessive record keeping
> could become a disaster in any court case.
> >
> >Everyone is doing it, no one has been charged.
> >

> After MS was busted, it was widely publicized that it was thereafter
> official policy to destroy email after N days.  As if Ollie et al. wasn't
> enough.

EXACTLY. *SIGH*

Neither Uni nor I suggested that routine document destruction is
inappropriate in the ordinary course of business. Again, the flipside of
these cases is that court's recognized the legitimate aims (and
self-protective nature) of destruction when done as part of a consistent,
good faith practice.

Read Lewy.

~Aimee