The Cautionary Ontological Approach To Technology of Gabriel Marcel

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Fri Aug 3 16:39:17 PDT 2001

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Faustine wrote:

> The Cautionary Ontological Approach To Technology of Gabriel Marcel
> http://www.bu.edu/wcp/Papers/Tech/TechGend.htm
>
> ABSTRACT: I present the arguments of Gabriel Marcel which are intended to
> overcome the potentially negative impact of technology on the human. Marcel
> is concerned with forgetting or rejecting human nature. His perspective is
> metaphysical. He is concerned with the attitude of the "mere technician"
> who is so immersed in technology that the values which promote him as an
> authentic person with human dignity are discredited, omitted, denied,
> minimized, overshadowed, or displaced. He reviews the various losses in
> ontological values which curtail the full realization of the human person
> in his dignity. The impact of technology leads too often to a loss of the
> sense of the mystery of being and self, authenticity and integrity, the
> concrete and the existential, truth and dialogue, freedom and lover,
> humanity and community, fidelity and creativity, the natural and the
> transcendent, commitment and virtue, respect of the self and responsiveness
> to others, and especially of the spiritual and the sacred. Thus, the task
> of the philosopher is to be a watchman, un veilleur, on the alert for a
> hopeful resolution of the human predicament.

Then accept your humanity, that is the only resolution to the 'human
predicament'. (as if there were a predicament outside of the belief that
humans are somehow outside of the rest of the cosmology - philosophers are
always trying to escape rather than face)

                Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
                God said, "Let Tesla be", and all was light.

                                          B.A. Behrend

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com