Traceable Infrastructure is as vulnerable as traceable messages.

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Aug 3 18:32:47 PDT 2001

At 5:48 PM -0700 8/3/01, Ray Dillinger wrote:

>If the law wants to take this thing down, they will  not be
>attacking the strongest point -- ie, trying to trace individual
>messages.
>
>Instead, they will attack the weakest point -- trying to drive
>remailer operators out of business and thus destroy the
>infrastructure you need.  That is the threat model I'm concerned
>about, and given that network monitoring is now automatable and
>cheap, it is entirely do-able.

The "cops" won't be driving remailer operators in various U.S. states
"out of business." Even in these sad times where democrat expediency
seems to be winning out over constitutional rights, this battle will
have to be fought in the courts, probably all the way to the Supreme
Court. And we know that virtually no readings of the First Amendment
give local courts the say over what people can mail to each other,
outside of certain types of porn and suchlike.

This has been discussed many times here. Do you have some new
insights, or are you just now discovering the notion that government
may try to apply pressure on what people mail to each other?

>>As long as there is one uncompromised node in a chain subversion doesn't
>>guarantee a matchup of "from" and "to" but it improves the odds.
>
>So what?  A move by the g8 to protect the "global infrastructure"
>of the Internet, (polspeak for protecting their ability to control
>what the sheep think) followed by laws passed in individual countries,
>would force remops to operate solely in "rogue states", and messages
>to and from them could be screened out pretty simply.

Handwaving. The First Amendment will not likely be abandoned because
some Marxists in France concluded that there should be limitations on
what people mail to other people.

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns